Publisher: Bantam; 2 Revised edition
How to help--and cope with--the difficult child.
Expanded and completely revised, the classic and definitive work on parenting hard-to-raise children with new sections on ADHD and the latest medications for childhood disorders.
Temperamentally difficult children can confuse and upset even experienced parents and teachers. They often act defiant, stubborn, loud, aggressive, or hyperactive. They can also be clingy, shy, whiny, picky, and impossible at bedtime, mealtimes, and in public places. This landmark book has been completely revised to include the latest information on ADHD, medications, and a reassuring approach to all aspects of childhood behavioral disorders.
In this parenting classic, Dr. Stanley Turecki, one of the nation's most respected experts on children and discipline--and himself the father of a once difficult child--offers compassionate and practical advice to parents of hard-to-raise children. Based on his experience with thousands of families in the highly successful Difficult Children Program he developed for Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City, his step-by-step approach shows you how to:
Identify your child's temperament using a ten-point test to pinpoint specific difficulties
- Manage common--often "uncontrollable"--conflict situations expertly and gently
- Make discipline more effective and get better results with less punishment
- Get support from schools, doctors, professionals, and support groups
- Understand ADHD and other common diagnoses, and decide if medication is right for your child
- Make the most of the tremendous potential and creativity that many "difficult" children have
Buy: The Difficult Child: Expanded and Revised Edition